Whether you want to restore a damaged tooth or you just need a truly fabulous smile, a dental implant procedure can be a great way of bringing your pearl white teeth back to life. Unlike bridges, dentures, or crowns, dental implants involve a modern technique that uses titanium post for anchoring the replacement tooth. This means you can enjoy your new smile for many years to come if you properly look after it. Dental Implants Chatswood from Simply Dental gives you a quick know how:
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are essentially an effective way of replacing missing teeth. Their main purpose is helping you smile more confidently. They are a secure, attractive, and a more permanent solution, to fill in all the gaps in your smile and preserve your remaining teeth. As such, dental
Implants are a great option if you:
- Wear uncomfortable dentures
- Often hide your smile due to missing teeth
- Want to keep your teeth intact
- Are unsatisfied with removable partial dentures
You can opt for implants to replace a single tooth or a number of teeth, or even to support a set of dentures. The implants are surgically placed on the upper of lower jawbone, to replace the root of a missing tooth. Dental implants are usually made from titanium, which is lightweight but strong and also well accepted by the body.
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Implants are ideally used to support artificial teeth. When bridges, dentures, and single teeth are attached to the implants, they can’t shift or slip in the mouth. This is a crucial benefit especially when speaking or eating
- Implant supported dentures are commonly more comfortable compared to the other dentures that don’t use implants.
- The secure fit makes the artificial teeth to feel significantly more natural than ordinary dentures or bridges.
- The implants offer good value since with good care, they can last a lifetime.
- Dental implants can help prevent the jawbone from shrinking due to missing teeth.
There are several kinds of implants available. Treatment usually takes one to several days, though it could take a few months depending on the procedure. You should discuss with you dentist about the ideal type of implant for you. The placement of implants is usually done in three basic steps:
i) Placing the implant
The dentist carefully selects the ideal location to place the implant, using tools such as X-rays. The dentist will then place the implant surgically into the jawbone. After surgery, it’s normal to experience some tenderness or swelling. Your dentist can prescribe a painkiller to alleviate this, and you may be advised to eat soft foods during the healing process.
Dental implants are made strong by the fact that the jawbone usually grows around it to hold it securely in place, in a process called Osseo integration. However, it usually takes months before the implant is
completely integrated into the bone. This has to happen before the permanent replacement teeth can be inserted. Sometimes, the implant and a temporary replacement tooth can be placed in a single visit.
iii) Prosthesis Placement
If the implant is only for one tooth, then the dentist usually makes a new tooth, customized just for you. This is called a dental crown, and is designed to like natural teeth. Implant supported dentures and bridges can be made to look like natural teeth, in terms of colour, size, and shape.
The replacement teeth take some time to make. In the meantime, you may be given a temporary crown, denture, or bridge. This helps you speak and eat normally until the replacement teeth are ready.
Talk to the Dentists from Simply Dental Chatswood about dental implants. They can help you decide the kind of implant treatment that is perfect for you. With proper treatment planning and good oral care routine, you can have a healthy smile for a lifetime.